WITT (Heartland Newsfeed) — Witt Fire Department chief Tom Rogers was a recurring talking point in the city council’s May 22 meeting on several points of discussion. Rogers has marked four decades as the department’s chief and was posthumously awarded the Speedboy Hometown Spirit Award as well as a service plaque from the city council. Rogers became chief of the Witt Fire Department in 1978.
Information was provided regarding summer programs being offered at two community churches – the Witt United Methodist Church and the Witt Presbyterian Church. Flyers were also posted for public viewing at city hall.
Jacksonville-based Benton & Associates Inc. would be expected at city hall on June 7 to review their PER grant application intended for improvements to the water plant.
In other business:
- Rogers delivered the fire department report and police chief Scott Woods emailed the council the police department report.
- A motion to purchase parts to repair the jetter was approved.
- A motion to rescind a decision dating back to the April meeting regarding the transfer of excess funds to go into the water/sewer and general funds was approved.
- Motions to pay $10,000 toward their line of credit at Security National Bank and to transfer excess funds to the savings account were approved.
- A tentative copy of the annual budget was handed out to the council members for review and have set up a special meeting via the finance committee with a Patton and Company representative present at a later date.
- A motion to replace an environmental control box at the water plant was approved, with a sole dissenting vote from alderwoman Donna Yeske.
- A motion to resolve a water leak issue on Talmadge Street, under provision that the city would dig alongside the eastern side of the highway, capping off the water line and isolate the water leak while the homeowner pays for the materials to repair the leak was approved, with a sole dissenting vote from Robert Mehlberg.
- Meeting minutes from the previous month and the monthly financial report were approved.
- A special meeting to review the employee handbook was set for June 19.
- The current water ordinance will be reviewed at the June 25 council meeting.
- Discussion regarding ideas for grants through the Montgomery County Economic Development Corporation took place, citing several potential projects and that paperwork will soon be filled out.
- Information regarding the county’s hazard mitigation grant was postponed to the June meeting.
With no further business, the council adjourned at 8:35 p.m.
more recommended stories
- Prosecutors seek new sentence in Laquan McDonald case
CHICAGO (AP) — Prosecutors on Monday.
- Miller: $15 minimum wage would be a mistake
SPRINGFIELD (Heartland Newsfeed) — Freshman state.
- VIDEO: State of the Union and opposition responses
(Heartland Newsfeed) — Did you miss.
- Rep. King applauded at first Iowa event since House rebuke
PRIMGHAR, Iowa (AP) — Constituents applauded Republican.